Website designed & produced by Fiona Curtis
Watts’s second wife, Mary, was also an artist and she designed Watts Cemetery Chapel when Compton Parish Council bought the land for a new cemetery in 1895. This extraordinary circular building covered in celtic and art nouveau decoration is open daily to the public. Local villagers were invited to decorate the chapel under her guidance. Each member of her class had a separate job and 74 Compton villagers took part. G.F. Watts paid for the project and also painted a version of The All-Pervading for the altar only three months before he died.
Mary Watts was deeply involved with the Home Arts and Industries Association. She founded the Compton Potters’ Arts Guild, producing terracotta garden ornaments.
01483 421811 or Joanna Cadman 07711 566458
Further details can be found on
The Chapel is open 9.00am to 5.00pm (sunset in winter) most days (weather permitting).
The cemetery is a working cemetery and visitors are asked to respect that, at all times.
A short illustrated guide is available for £1 within the Chapel. All funds from purchases within the chapel help finance the up-keep of this beautiful building
A comprehensive guide is also available from the Gallery Shop