Website designed & produced by Fiona Curtis
The site, next to the Harrow was freehold, had a 90 feet frontage and was offered for the princely sum of £50. The Hagart Speirs site was offered on a 99 year lease.
In November 1933, a parish meeting was held to decide by ballot which of the two sites was preferred for the building of the Village Hall. The site offered by the Friary Brewery was chosen by an overwhelming majority of 93 votes to 30.
The building of the Hall was completed in 1934, the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Mary Watts and declared open by Celia Lady Boston of Monkshatch on 25th October.
Records show that as late as 1963, Village Hall Council of Management, chaired by Major General R H Bond brought together the interests of the 13 different organisations that existed in the village, namely:
The Scouts, the Women’s Institute, the Sports Club, the Mother’s Union, Almsgate Tenants Association, the British Legion, the Women’s British Legion,the Parochial Church Council, the (newly built) Congregational Church, the Parish Council, the School Representative, the Horticultural Society and the Youth Club
Clearly Compton was a vibrant village proud of its activities and was full of spirit.
In 1929 there was a proposal to build a British Legion Club and a Village Hall in Compton. In spite of the efforts of Mrs G F Watts, who was responsible for raising approximately half of the money, not enough was raised to build either. Mrs Watts insisted that her £50 donation be put aside in the hope that some day a Village Hall would be built.
The Village Hall is a well maintained traditional hall with half a dozen regular hirers and a long list of occasional hirers.
It is run by an enthusiastic Management Committee, comprising a Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, and Bookings Secretary, as well as representatives of the regular hirers.The Committee meets six times a year to ensure the smooth running and good maintenance of the Hall.
The Hall meets all the current Health and Safety Legislation and has a full premises licence and three Personal Licence Holders.
It has Public Liability Insurance and holds a PRS/PPL licence.
There is a large main hall which will accommodate 120 people seated or around 200 standing. It has a solid wooden floor and is attractively decorated by overhead or dimmer-controlled wall lights.There is also a good size stage with curtains.
A Mr Hagart Speirs, who was responsible for setting up the 1931 committee, gave some land to the British Legion with enough available for the building of a Village Hall.
At the same time Major Rudkin, who was chairman of the (Village Hall) building sub-committee and a director of the Friary Brewery had managed to secure an offer from the Friary Brewery of an alternative site next to the Harrow Inn.
The Committee had shown a preference for a site that was in a central location in the village.
In 1931 a committee was formed in a further attempt to raise enough money to proceed with the building of a Village Hall. A board of trustees was established to look after Mrs Watt’s £50 and to oversee a fund raising programme. A fete at Eastbury Manor raised £463, a certain Mr Princep (a friend of Mrs Watts) whose sister lived in Compton and his two nieces, donated £400 and wiith the help of other donations the fund reached £1,432 0s 11d.
The Hall is also used for a mixed variety of hirings by individuals for events such as wedding receptions, anniversary parties, barn dances, meetings, birthday parties for all ages (it will accommodate a bouncy castle!), film or slide shows as well as many fund- raising events.