In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial
Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton like this:
"COMPTON, a parish in Guildford district, Surrey; under Hogs Back hill, near the Alton and the Godalming railways, 3½ miles SW by W of Guildford. It has a post office under Guildford. Acres, 1, 971. Real property, £3, 216. Pop., 502. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. The manor was early annexed to the honour of Windsor, but soon divided into several parts. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £380.* Patron, J. M. Molyneux. The church is late Norman, with additions down to debased perpendicular; has a chapel over the chancel; and was recently repaired. Charities, £13."