Website designed & produced by Fiona Curtis
The last 50 years have seen significant changes in village life throughout the UK and Compton is no exception.
Increasing numbers of cars on the road have resulted in wider busier roads and towns have grown as they have become more accessible.
The growth of the 'Supermarket' and of course the ' Internet' has resulted in the rapid decline of small village stores, although some of the houses in Compton still bear the names of times long past.
The Old Post Office Stores only recently changed to a residential dwelling, and still bears the original name. It ceased to be a post office in 1986 having changed its use to that of an antique shop.
With 2 antique shops in Compton, the shop became residential in 1995.
Forge House and Smithy can be seen in its former life in photographs on
At one time the village would have been centered around the 'Green', where the old School house is. Evidence exists that shows that Compton was at one time prone to flooding resulting in a general move towards the church and higher ground. This led to the eventual development of 'The Street' as the main thoroughfare.
Island Cottage is thought to have gained its name from those early days when it was known to have been surrounded by water.
The White Hart was a public house long before the Harrow, this is now a
rsidential property, whilst the Withies Public House, was thought to have
originally been cottages, that were later converted.
Brook House was an inn until 1836 and was known as ' The sign of the Bear'.
Other houses whose names suggest they were at one time more than simple residences
are' Dairy' cottage, Mission Cottage, Bakers Cottage, and The Stores. The bakers store
(which was also a grocers) operated as a store until 1975.
The village is rich in history and the properties of Compton retain much of their original character and charm. It is interesting to note that the tied cottages used by workers at Easbury Manor were only sold ( and land sub-divided) in the sixties, when new technology replaced much of the manual labour. The cottages were sold to ' commuters' for the princely sum of £1,000 - £2,500.
The village school closed in 1975 however Compton is within the catchment area of several excellent schools including those at Charterhouse and Guildford.
For a brief period Moors House became better known as the ' Coffee House' in the days when alcohol was frowned upon. The working men's club also operated from here at one time.
The Old Post Office
The White Hart
The Bakers & Stores Now called The Lynams
Luckily for those who live in Compton, there are residents who invest an enormous amount of time into making the village a harmonious convivial place to live. There is a wonderful rather old fashioned loyalty that has developed between residents and this charming village. Details of the work carried out by the various organisations can be seen HERE
Philip Gorton, local historian & his wife Sally, use their combined skills to provide interested parties with ' House Histories' of their property. Summarised details of some of their commissions can be found HERE
As is the case with many of the cottages in Compton, South Cottage has been subject to a considerable number of changes over the years.
House Histories informs us that the cottage was referred to in 1517 where Westbury Manor records showed that the tennent 'Catherine Wheeler' had died, leaving the property in the care of David Evan, guardian to her son John, until he came of age. A dispute was later recorded, over the ownership of the property which eventually went to her son, John.
Between that time ( reign of Henry VIII) and the present day, the house has fallen into disrepair, been subject to rebuild and been changed from cottages to a single dwelling. The Stovold family remained tennents for approximately 350 years and in the early 19th century the property became part of the Eastbury Estate until it was sold in 1963, along with many of the ' tied cottages' linked to the Estate.
South Cottage - 1880. During 1890's it
was known by theTudor name ' Barber's'