As is the case with many of the cottages in Compton, South Cottage has been subject to a considerable number of changes over the years.
House Histories informs us that the cottage was referred to in 1517 where Westbury Manor records showed that the tennent 'Catherine Wheeler' had died, leaving the property in the care of David Evan, guardian to her son John, until he came of age. A dispute was later recorded, over the ownership of the property which eventually went to her son, John.
Between that time ( reign of Henry VIII) and the present day, the house has fallen into disrepair, been subject to rebuild and been changed from cottages to a single dwelling. The Stovold family remained tennents for approximately 350 years and in the early 19th century the property became part of the Eastbury Estate until it was sold in 1963, along with many of the ' tied cottages' linked to the Estate.
Information and image linked to South Cottage, reproduced with kind permission from Philip & Sally Gorton.
To find out about YOUR house contact www.house-history-research.co.uk or email email@example.com